Original Article
Bailout intravenous esmolol for heart rate control in cardiac computed tomography angiography
Esmolol endovenoso em regime bail out para controlo de frequência cardíaca na tomografia computorizada cardíaca
Sílvia Aguiar Rosaa,, , Ruben Ramosa, Hugo Marquesb, Rosana Santosb, Cecília Lealb, Helena Casadob, Márcia Saraivab, Luísa Figueiredob, Rui Cruz Ferreiraa
a Cardiology Department, Santa Marta Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
b Radiology Department, Santa Marta Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
Received 09 February 2016, Accepted 08 July 2016
Related article:
Abstract
Objective

To evaluate the efficacy and safety of a heart rate (HR) reduction protocol using intravenous esmolol as bailout for failed oral metoprolol regimens in patients undergoing coronary computed tomography angiography (CCTA) with 64-slice multidetector computed tomography (64-MDCT).

Methods

Patients who underwent cardiac 64-MDCT in a single institution between 2011 and 2014 were analyzed. Those with HR above 60 beats per minute (bpm) on presentation received oral metoprolol (50-200 mg) at least one hour before CCTA. Intravenous esmolol 1-2 mg/kg was administered as a bolus whenever HR remained over 65 bpm just before imaging. The primary efficacy endpoint was HR <65 bpm during CCTA. The primary safety endpoint was symptomatic hypotension or bradycardia up to hospital discharge.

Results

During the study period CCTA was performed in 947 cases. In 86% of these, oral metoprolol was the only medication required to successfully reduce HR <60 bpm. Esmolol was used in the remaining 130 patients (14%). For esmolol-treated patients mean baseline and acquisition HR were 74±14 bpm and 63±9 bpm, respectively (p<0.001). The target HR of <65 bpm was achieved in 82 of the 130 esmolol-treated patients (63%). Considering the whole population, esmolol use led to a significant increase in the primary efficacy endpoint from 86% to 95% (p<0.001). Esmolol also resulted in a statistically, but not clinically, significant reduction in systolic blood pressure (144±22 to 115±17 mmHg; p<0.001). The combined primary safety endpoint was only observed in two (1.5%) patients.

Conclusion

Despite optimal use of oral beta-blockers, 14% of patients needed intravenous esmolol for HR control. The pre-medication combination of oral metoprolol and on-demand administration of intravenous esmolol was safe and effective and enabled 95% of patients to be imaged with HR below 65 bpm.

Resumo
Objetivo

Avaliar a eficácia e segurança de um protocolo de redução de frequência cardíaca (FC) utilizando esmolol endovenoso após falência de metoprolol oral, em doentes submetidos a angiografia coronária por tomografia computorizada (CCTA) de 64 cortes.

Métodos

De 2011 a 2014 foram avaliados os indivíduos submetidos a CCTA num único centro. Os indivíduos com FC >60 bpm à admissão receberam 50-200 mg de metoprolol oral pelo menos uma hora antes da CCTA. Esmolol endovenoso em bólus (1-2 mg/kg) foi administrado se FC >65 bpm imediatamente antes da aquisição de imagem. O endpoint primário de eficácia foi FC <65 bpm durante a aquisição de imagem com contraste. O endpoint primário de segurança foi hipotensão ou bradicardia sintomática durante a permanência no hospital.

Resultados

Foram efetuadas 947 CCTA durante o período de estudo. Em 86% dos casos, metoprolol oral foi o único fármaco utilizado. Foi necessária a administração de esmolol em 130 (14%) doentes. Nos doentes que receberam esmolol, a FC basal reduziu em média de 74±14 bpm para 63±9 bpm (p<0,001). O objetivo primário de FC <65 bpm foi alcançado em 82 desses 130 doentes (63%). Considerando toda a população, o recurso a esmolol permitiu um aumento significativo da proporção de CCTA realizados com FC <65 bpm (86% para 95% [p<0,001]). A administração de esmolol esteve associada a redução estatisticamente, mas não clinicamente, significativa da pressão arterial sistólica (144±22 para 115±17 mmHg; p<0,001). O endpoint combinado de segurança foi observado em dois (1,5%) dos doentes.

Conclusão

Apesar da utilização sistemática de betabloqueante oral, 14% dos casos necessitaram de esmolol endovenoso para controlo adequado de FC. Pré-medicação combinada de metoprolol oral e esmolol endovenoso quando necessária foi segura e eficaz, e permitiu que 95% dos doentes apresentassem FC <65 bpm no momento da aquisição de imagem.

Keywords
Coronary computed tomography angiography, Esmolol, Heart rate control
Palavras-chave
Angiografia coronária por tomografia computorizada, Esmolol, Controlo de frequência cardíaca

Metrics

  • Impact Factor: 0.454(2014)
  • SCImago Journal Rank (SJR):0,24
  • Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP):0,398